Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tiny spuds teaching life lessons...

Yesterday I went to the gym after work and came home later than normal. Usually I get home before Mike so I cook dinner but yesterday was an exception. Even though I wasn't cooking dinner I had still decided what ingredients we would use for Monday's meal; which included leftover lamb, green beans that needed to be used soon, and the tiniest, cutest organic potatoes I had bought on Sunday at the farmers market.

Mike has been pretty busy at work and was running late to get home and cook dinner. By the way, side note: I am a terrible human when I'm hungry... When he got home, anxious to have dinner ready by the time I got home, and found the baby potatoes that he had no idea what to do with, his stress level automatically went up.

By the time I strolled through the door, a delicious smelling aroma was wafting through the air. I made by way into the kitchen to see what Mike was concocting. He had added all the ingredients in pan, added some onions and garlic and viola! dinner!

The only problem was those baby spuds did not cook. They were still hard and starchy on our plates ready to be eaten for dinner. We couldn't cook them longer because they were already combined with the lamb and the green beans. And, hi, I was starving! So, we ate around the cute, but uncooked, tatters. Then we made a trip to whole foods for slices of pizza.

I am equal parts proud and embarrassed to say this same situation a year ago would have easily burned our entire evening. Side story: Mike made mac n' cheese with almond milk for dinner one time - insisting it would taste the same - and when it didn't, because it definitely doesn't, I threw a giant fit and probably didn't talk to him for some ridiculous amount of time... over MAC N' CHEESE! I mean, really.. who cares?!

Well, I did...

I would (and still do occasionally because I'm almost always perfect but not quite entirely) get really upset over really small things; like small potatoes not being cooked properly... Instead, yesterday, I ate my lamb and green beans and then my slice of pizza. (And also some potato chips..)


Love almost always,
Ashley

0 comments:

Post a Comment